Header Photo

Header Photo

Thursday 19 October 2006

Skip the Light Fantastic


The weather here has been very dull and overcast for several days now, and it is making the art of taking reasonable photos quite difficult, as the light is flat and the sky is just a plain grey. Here is an example of what I mean. This building used to be part of a railway station in Nottingham that was closed during the Beeching cuts of the 1960's. It is now used by the council. I've turned to photo into black and white, to try and make it a bit more appealing. But note the bland and empty sky.

3 comments:

  1. Alexandria has overcast skies about 75% of the year. I like the even lighting. It makes colors glow.

    What I do when I have no blue sky is to take closer up shots of buildings and eliminate the sky if it bothers me.

    Flat lighting is flattering for a black and white shot. The whole point of black and white is darkness and light, and with overcast skies you don't have that contrast. I bet this photo looks much better in color, gray skies or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, I meant to say flat lighting is LEAST flattering for black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just been wondering how to take a nice photo in our drear and wet weather. I shall try black and white - perhaps I'll have some luck.

    I quite like your photo, bland as you think it, it looks quite calm and still and pleasant to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.