Header Photo

Header Photo

Tuesday 10 March 2009

A Serious Role


Locally born actress Samantha Morton made a special appearance yesterday in the Market Square. She made a very impassioned speech in support of local council workers who are facing redundancy due to severe budget cuts in services.

Samantha's early life was spent in local children's homes, and this is one of the frontline services that will be affected, together with day care centres, libraries and tourist attractions.
But the publicity did no good, as the leaders of the council passed the plans, so around 350 people will lose their jobs and any vacancies won't be filled.

8 comments:

  1. If I commented as I should, I might burst a blood vessel but as no-one would be there to pick up my pieces I'll try and remain calm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this photo.I have a family member who is directly impacted by the council redundancies in social care. 20 years of her experience & devotion will be lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a shame. Things are getting worse everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well good for her and I'm sorry it did no good. You took a very nice shot of her mid-talking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it will get worse before it gets better Gman.
    It such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its good to see she hasn't forgotten where she came from. Its a shame that the powers that be sacked the workers and not themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally with Gerald on this one. She is an excellent example of the good that can come from the right help. Disgraceful result and sadly tey won't be the last. I cannot believe this is a so called Labour, sorry New Labour Govenment. As for the image you captured a vulnerabilty about her I have not seen before. Hang on to this image.I think it will have a good future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks like a young Germaine Greer, or Vanessa Redgrave. More power to her!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.