Header Photo

Header Photo

Monday 27 February 2012

Campsite Confrontation


The Occupy Nottingham camp, or Tent City, as it is known has been given orders to leave the Old Market Square by the city council within the next week. They have been there since October. Around 135 days ago. Which must be one of the longest protests of its kind still running. I don't know what effect it has had on tourism though, as people walk by this ramshackle camp that wouldn't look out of place in the middle of a forest or on a desert island.

For those that don't know, the group, and there are lots across the world are demonstrating against government cuts, the finance sector money blunders and the 1% of the worlds population that hold all the money and power. I don't know if it has done any good. The sceptic in me says no. But at least it has publicised the situation in the world. Not that things are likely to change anytime soon, unless there is a revolution across the globe. But that's not likely to happen, and the status quo will remain in place, with the rich getting richer, and the poor getting poorer.

I took this shot the other day, as I was amused to see this jug of daffodils. A touch of spring colour amongst the rag tag tents and general squalor.

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers are the only bright thing about this messy corner of Old Market Square. I will be glad when they have all moved, as I think it's an eyesore. And I do wonder what they do about toilet facilities & washing etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.