Header Photo

Header Photo

Wednesday 21 July 2010

Even I Was Young Once


I've picked this week's Headbanger Challenge theme, which is childhood memories. Mine are of family holidays. Even though I was an only child, I can happily remember holidays with my mum and dad. Sometimes other relatives came along, as in my Aunty Ethel, when we went to Butlin's at Filey in Yorkshire. I remember finding a £5 note. An absolute fortune to a small boy in 1972. I bought my dad a packet of cigarettes, my mum and aunty a porcelain figure each, and I treated myself to a Matchbox model of a racing car. The holidays were always in England, and always self catering. Christmas 1972 was different, as I went with my mum to Australia. Her son had gone over in the 1960s as a 'Ten Pound Pom'. It took her a couple of years to save up for the air fare. We went by Quantas, and got a certificate when we crossed the international dateline.

Today's picture shows the start of my interest in cars. This Rolls Royce wasn't ours. It belonged to the man my dad was chauffeuring at the time. It certainly stood out from all the others in the street, and it might have been the only one in Beeston at the time.

5 comments:

  1. Ha, you do have memories then GM, nice ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GM: Very interesting post for sure. I love your memories of Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet post with memories....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Header, Great memories.... and a great looking car.. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beauty:) I love looking at old photographs and happy times

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.