Header Photo

Header Photo

Saturday, 22 February 2014

Trial And Error



I was in Smiths this morning skimming through the latest copy of Amateur Photographer. I rarely buy magazines these days, unless I think it's worth buying, as some of them are so expensive and probably end up in the recycling.

Anyway whilst browsing AP's pages, I came across an article called 'freelensing'.  Basically it's taking a photo without the lens being attached to the camera. So as it has been a sunny afternoon, I thought I'd give it a go.

For the photo above I used an old manual Carl Zeiss Jenna 28mm lens, set at F11 and to infinity. As the lens wasn't mounted to my OMD, I was able to wriggle it around, until I got something in focus. Well as near focus as you can get. There is also the problem of light leaks, but in this case it has made the sky a nice pink colour.

Photo number two was taken with a Nikon 24mm, also set to infinity and at F8. The same tree, but at a different angle. I can't say that they are the best pictures that I have ever taken, but they are certainly unique.

I will keep practicing with different lenses, to find one that works best. Will also see what it's like using the combo with a model. The magazine showed a couple of examples, which looked quite nice and soft.