Header Photo

Header Photo

Wednesday 31 March 2010

Behind Enemy Lines

It's Headbanger Wednesday again, and I've chosen the theme of 'urban decay' this week. I've been thinking and looking at possibilities for the subject, and wanted to show something different. Besides the obvious of crumbling buildings and graffiti, I thought about decaying human relationships that seem more prevalent in cities than in the rural landscape. How people don't talk to their neighbours anymore, or speak to people in queues, and how defensive and suspicious we've become with CCTV, bolts and locks etc. So my picture is of some barbed wire that just about sums up how people tend to feel about strangers these days. Everyone is guilty until proven innocent. Especially photographers. I might sound cynical, but we seem to be heading in that direction closer every day.


Of course there are plenty of rotting buildings dotted around the city centre. Imac's taken one for his masthead. And so here's mine, situated on Canning Circus. A shame the council don't do anything about them, as they are such an eyesore for everyone coming into the city centre that way.

5 comments:

  1. I hate to see new business open up with new buildings and the old buildings are sitting there decaying. Perfectly good buildings too. We see so many vacant and run down buildings here in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whilst I totally agree with you regarding such sites, I wonder just exactly what the Council could do even if they wanted? Chances are such places are owned by persons reluctant to sell at current prices. New build is not a thing which is receiving much investment at the moment from speculators. Owners of empty buildings seem content to pay the council tax until the situation improves (if it ever does), and then sell the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great image for your header... I like your post and the sentments it holds. Hyde where I live is relatively small but many shops are closing down and staying empty... pubs that used to do really well now lie empty and decaying.

    Great theme my friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:12 pm

    These shops are on the edge of the NDC area in Radford, where £55m has been spent on regeneration over the last 10 years.

    Draw your own conclusions on the effectiveness of their strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool header for this week's theme and great post to go with it. I'm so sorry I wasn't able to play along - I had the perfect place to go shoot in mind! Excellent choice for the theme Gailsman.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.