Header Photo

Header Photo

Friday, 11 July 2014

Good Time Girl


This is Nottingham singer Ronika, who I saw at an intimate gig on Friday night.

I wasn't sure what she would be like, as I've not really been aware of her music. But I was pleasantly surprised as how good she was and how catchy her songs were.

I would say that she is a mixture of 1980s Madonna, with a hint of Cyndi Lauper. Her debut album is called Selectadisc, and is named after one of the cities' greatest record shops, which sadly closed down a few years ago.

There has been a number of local bands and artists recently that have begun to get their names known. Obviously Jake Bugg is the most famous; then you have London Grammar and Indiana. I'm sure Ronika will soon be playing much bigger places than the Bodega, so in a way I have been lucky to see her while she's still approachable.