Header Photo

Header Photo

Tuesday 2 September 2008

Bluesday Tuesday - 4


Very close to the castle is this sort of monument to a couple of overseers. I'm not sure who they were or why they should be remembered. I do know that an overseer is a person that is in charge of a group of workers, usually in the clothing industry and as Nottingham was famous for lace, I would deduce that Sam Parr and his friends were some sort of managers of a lace company. But whatever happened to them in 1869, remains to be discovered.

2 comments:

  1. Lace, Robin Hood and the fairest girls in the land. Now I never knew if this was true, but I remeber this often being quoted as youngster. Interesting plaque and isn't it fustrating when you find these things and no info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’d think that the council would keep details on record.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.