Header Photo

Header Photo

Monday 6 April 2009

James And His Amazing Technicolour Redcoat


Today marks the day when in 1812 British soldiers, including many from Nottingham captured the Spanish city of Badajoz. As no one had a suitable flag to hand, Lt James MacPherson ran his jacket up the flagpole instead. This deed is celebrated every year by the British army, even in Afghanistan.
I took this in the grounds of the castle. If it was a bit windier, I might have been able to take a better photo of it.

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating post. I like the photo the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super idea and a great post GM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Care to call in for a Finger Dip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you had posted this 01/04 I would not has believed you. Blogging, better than wiki for quirky facts. I lkie the image as it is, like a ballerina at full stretch.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.