Header Photo

Header Photo

Wednesday 29 September 2010

Street Life


Headbanger Wednesday again, and Tom's choice this week is of a reflected image in water. An interesting subject matter, and open to all sorts of interpretations. I have quite a few possibilities in my archive, but chose this one, as I like the colour of the brickwork against the black of the wet road.

Please visit the rest of the gang to see their choices.

As promised yesterday, here's another 'now and then' photograph. This is Theatre Square, named naturally because of the presence of the Theatre Royal, a fine Victorian building of great note. In the undated original, but going on the fashions I'd say the 1910s, the County Hotel adjoined it, but shamelessly knocked down many years ago. The Royal Centre now stands in its place. The road layout has clearly changed, mainly thanks to the tram. Alas I do not know what happened to the statue, or who it is of.

6 comments:

  1. I agree the colour of the bricks against the black road certainly makes for an eye catching shot, lovely header.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GM: Sweet caprure of the rain covered street, enjoyed the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:05 pm

    I enjoy my daily visit to your Blog to see what I missed around Nottingham.
    The statue outside he Theatre Royal was of a local Samuel Morley MP. Check link for a closer picture from 1906.
    http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/nottingham1906/nottingham4.htm
    Glyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:02 pm

    I have two pictures of Theatre Square, one taken around 1914 and one in the 1920's. The statue of Samuel Morley is there in the first but not in the second, so it must have been taken down during the war or shortly after.

    I wonder where it went? I've got a feeling that it might have ended up on Trent Embankment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:10 pm

    According to Nottstalgia.com forum the statue was moved to the Aboretum in Dec 1926 but was broken during the operation. It was replaced by a bust of Morley at the Waverley Street entrance to the park in 1928.

    Glyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.