Header Photo

Header Photo

Monday 17 December 2012

Dearly Departed


Gail and I had to go to a funeral today. Not a family member as such, but someone close to our hearts; Gail's ex husband's father, Ruben.

He died suddenly from a short illness. So it was quite a shock to hear that he had passed away so soon.

Ruben was very popular in the village where he lived, and the little church in Edwinstowe was packed with family members, friends and locals wishing to say their goodbyes.

The service went as well as could be expected and so did the burial, despite it being very cold and wet.

Although I didn't know him as much as perhaps I was able, we did share the same birthdate, although there was a 40 year difference.

It was the first time that I had been to a funeral with a burial, as others that I have attended have been cremations.  After the coffin was lowered into the ground, I helped his sons to shovel the earth back in. It was the least I could for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.