Header Photo

Header Photo

Sunday 24 February 2013

Ava Maria


Another bit of luck with a Twitter competition. This time it was to win two tickets to see international musical superstar Maria Friedman, who was appearing tonight at the Nottingham Playhouse.

I was fortunate enough to win a couple of tickets through a competition on Twitter. So it made another pre-birthday treat. Or should that be tweet!

It's been a good day in all, as Gail's ex husband came over to see us and wish me a Happy Birthday, and to congratulate us on seven years of marriage. We all went for a very tasty lunch at the Victoria Hotel, a lovely old pub near Beeston railway station.

Maria sang a number of songs by Stephen Sondheim, just accompanied by a pianist by the name of Jason Carr. Although the only one I knew was "Send in the Clowns' and I didn't even know that it was one of his! I guess it's because Andrew Lloyd Webber's songs are more well known. I think most people have heard "Memory" from Cats, "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera and of course "Joseph and his Technicolor Dreamcoat".

After the show, Maria went into the foyer to meet her fans and sign autographs. In front of me in the queue was a mum and her daughter, who I understood from their conversation that she was studying to be a singer too.

She was telling her mum how to take a photo using her mobile. Poor mum looked a bit worried and said that she hoped it came out OK.  Of course I had my OMD already pried for action and took a couple of shots. I said that if it didn't come out, they may like one of mine. So I gave the mum one of my cards; so hopefully she will be sending me an e-mail, so I can send them a copy. But if anyone does know this delightful young lady, please point her in my direction.


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely story - and the photo of the very pretty young lady with Maria Friedman is so very good, I hope you do hear from her Mum so she can have a copy. I confess I'd never heard of Maria Friedman, as we don't like musical theatre, but she sounds very approachable, signing autographs & being photographed, which isn't always the case with famous people. Happy Birthday & Anniversary for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky friend!
    Glad that you and Gail enjoyed this special musical event!
    The portraits are wonderful!
    Léia
    *** by the way, I love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Treat for NO 1 eh, well done older boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh very lucky and a fabulous prize. I wanted to go but was nervous of spending more money I haven't got. However a friend gave a me a ticket to see Frances Ruffelle in Piaf the play in Leicester. So that was nice and a fab play.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.