Header Photo

Header Photo

Thursday 18 April 2013

Tower Of London


I had to attend a meeting in London today, as part of my job. The building I went to is on the Euston Road, not far from St Pancras Station.

The meeting room we were in was on the 14th floor, and you got some great views of the London skyline.

I really wanted to get a shot of the Post Office Tower, or the BT Tower as it is now known, as I have never taken a photo of it before, despite visiting London many times. And what a super view I got from the 14th floor.

The tower was opened in 1965, and used to have a revolving restaurant at the top, which oddly was run by Butlins; the holiday camp company. A bomb exploded there in October 1971, and the restaurant was closed. In fact no members of the general public are allowed inside the building at all now. In fact strangely  enough the tower was classed as an official secret until recently, even though its 189 metres tall.

The tower has been featured in many TV shows and films since the 1960s. The most famous being by the Goodies, where a giant white Persian cat climbed up the side of it and pushed it over.

5 comments:

  1. Love this image, it's like a postcard!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:58 pm

    Wicked shot! Very nice, makes me wanna get down there this weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete

  3. When I was a young kid, my parents used to put me and my brother on the train to Paddington to spend the summer with my grandparents.

    I well remember going up the Post Officer Tower in about 1966, and also being able to actually stand outside 10 Downing Street!!

    Brings back memories. Thanks Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:02 pm

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:01 am

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.