Header Photo

Header Photo

Friday, 17 January 2014

Friday Night Folk


Last week was Dave Mitchell's first gig of the year, tonight it was Emma Bladon-Jones'.

She put a message on Facebook saying that she was doing a gig at a pub in Beeston called the White Lion.

I've seen a few musicians there before, and was expecting to see her downstairs near the bar, but I was told that she was playing upstairs. So up I went, and I was in for a surprise and something that I hadn't come across before. I had walked into a folk club meeting, and Emma was down as a guest performer.

The club is called the Second Time Around and meets at the pub every fortnight. I didn't know what would be happening, but the old guy that appeared to be in charge explained who would be the first few people to perform. So I listened to various musicians and singers do turns. It was all acoustic too, so microphones or backing tracks.

There were quite a few people in the audience, more than normal and it was observed that it was probably because of Emma; who is quite well known now in Beeston and Nottingham.

She wasn't very well at Christmas, and actually ended up in hospital for a few days, so it was great to see her performing again.  The audience certainly appreciated her style of folk music and received a good round of applause after she had finished her set.