Header Photo

Header Photo

Saturday 12 September 2009

Glass's Guide


The annual heritage weekend is now underway. All over the country various buildings are open to the public. Yesterday I had a look around St Peter's Church in the centre of Nottingham. It's a very old building and some of it dates from 1140AD. I'm always amazed at the amount of work and detail that goes into the building of such places. The Bible appears to go on about living simply and without worldly goods etc, yet churches are full of gold, decoration, and were expensive to build. Here's one of the many stained glass windows that St Peter's contains. I wonder how long it took to make and how much it cost?

4 comments:

  1. Great pics of the window. Heritage day has been a bit disappointing for me this year. Couldn't get into the Theatre Royle as the present owners won't allow access (the Trust fighting for it only got notice on Thursday). Today I went to St George's but by the time I got there they were packing up - but my four glass shots have come out OK. There are some things open tomorrow but buses aren't frequent on Sunday so I probably won't bother going out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:36 am

    I just posted a piece about stained glass windows this morning. It is on http://abrahamlincolnsblog.blogspot.com/

    And talks about those who are dead who paid for the windows in the church today. I enjoyed your post and thought it was ironic that two people posted similar things.

    Thanks for the visit you paid to Pick a Peck of Pixels and for the comment you left there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stained glass windows are beautiful, but I agree that, in general, churches are overly decorated when the congregation members are preached at about living simply, without worldly goods.

    It's incredible that such an old building has survived, but churches are usually well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is just stunning. You can't begin to imagine the work that went into creating it...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.