Header Photo

Header Photo

Saturday 5 September 2009

A Walk Into The Past


This weekend Gail and I are in Rye, East Sussex. It's partly a break and partly to say a final goodbye to my dear friend John Ryan, whose memorial service we attended today.
The local church was packed. Estimated at around 400. Afterwards close friends and relatives were invited to the town hall close by for lunch. We then were invited back to the family home, where we ate some more of the buffet and remembered his life and work.

Rye is a wonderful quaint little town, that is very old. We are staying at the Ship Inn, a former smuggling pub that is over 400 years old. It's quite eccentric, and the floor or our room slopes, and comes complete with wooden beams. But they are in the 21st century, as I am writing this in the bar, which has Wi-fi.

6 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful town. How nice to be staying there, considering the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wi I man.

    Pleased your friend received a good celebration of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again such beauty under such sad circumstances. My real surname ancestors came from this area as I have found through research. Long way from Brum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at these houses I realized once more how much I love
    England. It goes without saying, your photo are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it feels like I can walk there and pretend this is my hometown. Petite beauté!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:39 am

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.