Header Photo

Header Photo

Wednesday 24 August 2011

Going Underground


This week's Headbanger theme is 'landfill' and comes from the devious mind of iMac. It's been a theme that has taking some thinking about. Some workmen are presently filling in a hole where the nurses flats used to be, but it wouldn't make for a very exciting photo. I could have created something using some toys I have got, but in the end I went for what you can see above.

This cinema and several other buildings have been built on an old landfill site. I remember when I was a teenager driving past and seeing the seagulls circling overhead and pieces of thin plastic blowing in the wind while they were stuck to the barbed wire fence that surrounded the tip. Besides the cinema, there's a bowling alley, a Frankie and Benny's pizza restaurant and a nightclub.
If you look carefully, you can see small posts dotted about. These are vents to let the methane out, otherwise the whole site could blow up.

Todays photo is an update of one iMac put on his site a few days ago. I knew it had been painted over, so I had a stroll up Mansfield Road to see what had replaced it. Another giant piece of urban art. I wonder how long it takes to produces one of these things?

Don't forget to see what the other four members of the gang have come up with for the theme, and enjoy this week's musical offering.

4 comments:

  1. Chris: I have to say that is good use of the land. I thought one of you would have shown the flying seagulls over a landfill. This was a complete surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's good to see that land reused. We have shopping malls built on brown fields--contaminated land that might as well have been land fills. I guess that's keeping it in the family! Better than acquiring still more land for "development." Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done GM you did well here.
    Thanks for the update on the Art scene too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We cant vote??? just been blown away with the World so it seems in your music.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.