Header Photo

Header Photo

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Space Race

I have chosen this week's Headbanger Challenge, and I have gone for 'Space Race'. I'm not sure why I thought of this, after all The UK isn't renowned for visiting the stars, unless you count producing satellites. The nearest that we have got to is with jet fighters; and one of the fastest and best is the English Electric Lightening. A fantastic aircraft designed in the 1950s, but looks so futuristic, with its silver body. And fast too, with speeds approaching mach 2 (1500 mph). They could climb to high altitudes, almost to the top of the sky. Pilots said it was like sitting in a rocket. My header photo is of a Lightening. Sadly a museum piece now at RAF Cosford in Shropshire. But it is the nearest that anyone will get to one now since they went out of service during the 1980s. My film show from YouTube this week is of a Lightening in action in South Africa, where you could fly in one if you had the money. Today's photo is also silver in colour. It is a knight's helmet from Tutbury Castle, but for those people with any imagination, it might look like a helmet, belonging to some brave space traveller like Dan Dare, or Buck Rogers. Please make time to see how the other gang members have interpreted my theme this week, links on their names above and enjoy the film. Alas no popcorn.

4 comments:

  1. Ah Christopher and his silver streaker.
    Nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing these as a boy at air shows, they were still front-line then and I though they were fantastic. Like the sadly missed Concorde these small jets were ahead of their time and as you say futuristic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat photo. The futuristic look of the 50s is charming now. But, oh, the vision! I agree with you about the armor. Someone is keeping that helmet very shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris: That is one cool jet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.