Header Photo

Header Photo

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Surprise, Surprise


That old Fishing Guy, Tom has picked this weeks' Headbanger Challenge theme. He has gone for the unusual theme of 'well that's a surprise'.

My contribution for the contest is this block of flats close to where we were shooting last night in Clifton. By day it looks like it is made of Lego, but by night, I think it takes on a more sinister appearance. Especially with all that communications equipment on the roof.

What surprised and pleased me was how little noise has appeared on the photo, despite it being dusk, and how the camera has retained the dark blue of the sky. Rather than turning it a dark brown or black, like you sometimes get with other cameras.

I took it with our new toy; a Nikon D3s. The lens that I used was a 24-70mm f2.8. Neither are new, but good quality second hand.

For the initiated, the ISO was set at 4000, 1/60 and at f2.8.

The ISO can really be cranked up. But I didn't want to do that. I'd rather see how it turned out at a more normal figure.

Don't forget to pop over and see how the rest of the gang have interpreted the theme, and enjoy this rather joyful song.

My blog photo today shows three girls who look surprised, curious or perplexed at what they are seeing or reading on the mobile phone. I shot this on Sunday, when we took a trip into the city centre as it was sun day too. Unlike today, where it has been raining for most of the day, and I got wet cycling into work.

5 comments:

  1. I'm liking your header shot this week too! It looks as though each window is reflecting a different part of the sunset. Some are blue, some are purple etc. I'm also a sucker for geeky stats, I'm glad you thought to include your settings. This images is as clean as a whistle at ISO 4000. Remember to keep your shutter speed up when you boost your ISO, this keeps the noise as low as possible.

    Great picture again Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a few folk are at Home, all the others are out - like your Girls, playing that new mobile game/He loves me//he loves me not.
    As for your header Christopher, its a dam good shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris: I do like the color of the sky you retained at sunset. Love the tech girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:54 am

    That was a cheeky shot, didn't see you taking that one. Yes you've captured the building well, especially with the refections of the night sky. It does make it look very eerie! It might be worth taking a day shot so people can see the difference the night sky does to it.
    Nice capture of the girls! I wonder what or who they were looking at on their mobile phone! Maybe they were taking a sneaky shot of someone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not surprise because you are a talented photographer! :) Always beautiful compositions!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.