Header Photo

Header Photo

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Dancing The Night Away


The Old Dance School are a Birmingham based folk group that Gail and I went to see tonight at a venue that we'd not been to before.

Well, when I say not been to before, I'm not being completely honest, as we have been to the Lakeside Arts Centre in Highfields many times, but we have never been to their theatre. So it was a first tonight.

I happen to be thumbing through their brochure at the weekend, as I was having a bit of a sort out, and saw the advert for the concert. As I had never heard of the band before, I had a look to see if there was anything about them on YouTube. And of course there was. Some videos of their shows and promotional stuff. So I played a few tracks.

Gail said that she liked what she was hearing, so I said that they were here on Wednesday & did she want to go. "Why not" she replied, so I had a look on the Lakeside's website, to see if there were any tickets left. There were, so I booked two for the second row.

When we got there, one of the ushers showed us to our seats. Shen then noticed that there were two empty ones on the front row. "Do you want to sit here" she enquired. OK, thanks, we replied. And so settled in ready for the show to begin.

They were very good too. There is seven in the band, including a guy called Aaron who played the trumpet. Which to be honest, did spoil some of the songs, as it sounded a bit out of place. The two fiddle players Helen & Samantha were wonderful, so too was Laura who was on woodwind and vocals. She also chatted to the audience, and amusingly told us that she had opened a shop selling band CDs and tee shirts at bargain prices. The rest of the band; Tom the drummer, Adam on double bass and Robin the lead singer and guitarist really helped to gel the group together and made for a very enjoyable evening.

Here's a LINK to their website, so you can see and hear for yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:20 am

    Great sneaky shot Mr F! ;-)
    I loved all of the band members even the trumpet man! He added a little bit of difference to the usual folk band. I especially loved the girls playing the violins. I so love to hear violin's, especially within a Folk/Irish band. I enjoyed them that much we ended up buying 3 CD's from their shop! Bit embarassing though, as we didnt take much cash with us, so we managed to scraped together enough to buy them. Luckily, we had enough to buy a bag of chips on the way home as well, well chuffed! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed them.

    I love the song dance the night away too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.