Header Photo

Header Photo

Saturday 8 October 2011

All The Fun of The Fair


I did something today which I haven't done since about 1975. I went to Goose Fair. It's an annual event in Nottingham and has taken place for the last 717 years. It used to be held in the Old Market Square, but moved to the Forest recreational ground in the 1920s when they rebuilt the Council House and redesigned the area.
I didn't go on any of the rides. For one thing I don't like being spun round quickly or tossed about. And another thing is they are quite expensive to go on. So I just walked around looking for something interesting to shoot. It was very noisy. With music blearing out all over the place. One tradition is eating a cup full of mushy peas. I resisted the temptation. But had some later, as Gail and I had fish and chips for dinner.
My photo shows another tradition of fairgrounds, and that is the dodgem cars. The only form of driving, albeit in a circle, where you are allowed to smash into one another. No points on your licence and loss of No Claims Discount.

2 comments:

  1. It was probably about '78 since I was last there. Did you win anything for Gail on the stalls while you were there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you dodged all the rides then.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.