Header Photo

Header Photo

Wednesday 19 August 2009

In Memory Of


I received a letter yesterday that made me quite sad. It was an invitation to a memorial service for a friend of mine whom I had known for nearly 40 years. His name was John Ryan, and was a well known cartoonist and animator. His best known character was Captain Pugwash. He also created Mary, Mungo & Midge, Sir Prancealot and the Ark Stories. He also drew satirical cartoons for the Catholic Herald newspaper and Harris Tweed for the Eagle in the 1950's.

A real talented illustrator and wonderful person. His wife Priscilla is fantastic too and is also a talented still life painter. I hope she is coping without him after nearly 60 years of marriage. I saw him last in 2007, and wasn't too well with various health problems. But he could still draw. and signed his latest book for me. Then a few weeks later a parcel arrived. It was this picture he had created and dedicated to Gail and I. Although he lived in Rye, I shall miss him, as I always used to send them cards and letters.

18 comments:

  1. i'm sorry for your loss! At least you have his drawings to keep with you. The one here is wonderful.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about his death the other week on the internet. I was sad, Captain Pugwash was a mainstay of my childhood. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry for your loss... His characters remind me of Charles Bragg's ... except these are clothed. His characters were stout and cheerful like these u posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I extend my condolence to the departed spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that you lost your friend...sending prayers and strength to those who have lost a special person.
    He was clever and talented...God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry for the loss of a friend and artist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. What a wonderful gift to have received from your friend. Isn't it great when people leave a legacy that was created with their imaginations, their hearts, their souls, and their kindness & generosity?

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is the 1st time i've visited your blog... and to hear that about your dear friend really makes me sad...
    i'm sure in his lifetime he's made people happy esp. with his drawings, which btw, were fantastic...
    sorry for your loss...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry for your loss. It's quite painful. Be strong. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending condolences for the loss of your friend. Best wishes always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for the loss of your friend and what a wonderful gift to remember him by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely tribute to your friend

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember Captain Pugwash.
    So sad to hear this news, thinking of his wife and family.

    Great dedication to your friend - this post GM.


    Come take a trip with me on the London Eye.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:56 pm

    Sad day when you lose a friend, my sympathies to you and the family of a man who has given endless pleasure to so many children.

    ReplyDelete
  15. sorry to hear about your loss...i am sure looking at the picture will bring back memories every time you look...a touching tribute...

    ReplyDelete
  16. So hard to lose those special people in our lives. I do hope your fond memories sustain you through your grief. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done - my friend on being mentioned in David's POTD. Well desevred

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, how sad. It's always hard to lose an old friend, and like you, I wonder how his wife is doing without him. It's one of my biggest fears, being the one left behind.

    I loved Captain Pugwash - and I also remember Harris Tweed, because my brothers had The Eagle delivered while I was stuck with 'Girl', which I think was the 'sister' comic. Your friend John brought a lot of pleasure during his lifetime.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.