Header Photo

Header Photo

Saturday 29 August 2009

A Load Of Old Bull


One of the unsung attractions of Nottingham is the cattle market, near Notts County's football ground. Every Saturday lots of auctions and sales go on at this well known site, which sprung up over a hundred years ago. Alas no cows and sheep anymore, but antiques, flowers, vegetables and general car boot tat. I remember as a child, my dad taking me most Saturday's, and he would bid for the odd item of furniture or some tools. I have still got some of the things he bought.

My photo today shows part of the detail at the entrance gates, to prove that cattle were available there.

11 comments:

  1. Interesting landmark. I like that you still have some of the things your dad bought at the auctions. I used to go to lots of auctions with my dad as well. It was always exciting---but very long. Don't see many of them anymore. Maybe when I move back to Wisconsin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great caption for a most interesting photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting photo. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice capture GM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first saw it, I thought it was so strange. But now that you've explained what it is, it makes a lot of sense. And I think it's a great history marker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an original detail! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. instead of putting only one photograph and few lines about just one point, it will be beneficial for us if 2-3 photoes and some more matter is put, as we can't visit the blog everyday. The matter is interesting to outsiders

    ReplyDelete
  8. excellent capture. and, great narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:25 am

    Nice picture G-M. As a vegetarian, I'm very happy that these are the only bulls now to be seen at the cattle market.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok we are allowed to mention football again now that West Brom are doing well, before they deliver their usual bull... performance of course. This has to be one of the weirdest shots of the town.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.