Header Photo

Header Photo

Wednesday, 19 August 2009

In Memory Of


I received a letter yesterday that made me quite sad. It was an invitation to a memorial service for a friend of mine whom I had known for nearly 40 years. His name was John Ryan, and was a well known cartoonist and animator. His best known character was Captain Pugwash. He also created Mary, Mungo & Midge, Sir Prancealot and the Ark Stories. He also drew satirical cartoons for the Catholic Herald newspaper and Harris Tweed for the Eagle in the 1950's.

A real talented illustrator and wonderful person. His wife Priscilla is fantastic too and is also a talented still life painter. I hope she is coping without him after nearly 60 years of marriage. I saw him last in 2007, and wasn't too well with various health problems. But he could still draw. and signed his latest book for me. Then a few weeks later a parcel arrived. It was this picture he had created and dedicated to Gail and I. Although he lived in Rye, I shall miss him, as I always used to send them cards and letters.