Header Photo

Header Photo

Saturday 27 July 2013

A Song, Some Rain And The Beatles


Gail and I have had quite a hectic Saturday afternoon. Firstly we went to see a production of Stephen Sondheim's musical Sweeney Todd at the Lakeside Arts Centre, as I was fortunate enough to win two tickets through a competition on Twitter.

It was very good, and the quality of the singing was excellent, even though I don't believe any of the cast were professionals, as there was an open audition advertised on Facebook some months ago, that anyone could go to. A shame that I can't sing, otherwise I might have been tempted to have a go.


I think that everyone knows the story about the barber who kills some of his customers, and their bodies end up in the meat pies that his girlfriend sells. I'm not sure if the musical version is as well known as say Cats, or Blood Brothers, even though it was created in 1979. Maybe because there aren't any famous songs in it, like 'Memories' or Don't Cry For Me Argentina.

After that, we went up to the Arboretum, to catch the tail end of the Gay Pride festival.  It had been going on all day, so we had missed the march, music and attractions. But we thought it would still be going, and people would still be enjoying themselves.


We hadn't been there long before it started to rain. As it was taking place in a park, there were plenty of trees about, so everyone scuttled for cover. This young lady fortunately had an umbrella with her, so she was still able to continue with her phone call.


Whilst we were undercover, we started chatting to some others, and of course we just had to take some photos of them. There were still plenty of people walking after the rain had stopped, so we continued looking for things and people to take.

This special bunting caught my eye, and yes I agree that there shouldn't be any discrimination when people are in love and want to get married, and I think the law is beginning to catch up with the 21st century.

This painting on the back of an ice cream van amused me. Obviously a spoof of the Beatles' Abbey Road album cover. I'm not sure whether the artist has chosen the right characters for the musicians though. I can't see John as Winnie the Pooh. He's definitely Donald Duck. Archaic and rebellious. George would have been better as the teddy bear. Quiet and philosophical.  and I think Ringo would be more suitable as Pluto, as he likes messing around. And so that leaves Paul as Mickey, which ties in with him being the most popular Beatle, just as Mickey is the most favoured Disney character.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.